Still no participant
Still no reviews
Introduction.Microbial world: Prokaryotic and eukaryotic microbes. Bacteria: cell structure, chemoautotrophy, photo autotrophy, growth. Bacterial genetics: Genetic recombination- transformation, conjugation and transduction, plasmids, transposon.
Role of microbes in soil fertility and crop production: Carbon, Nitrogen, Phosphorus and sulphur cycles. Biological nitrogen fixation- symbiotic, associative and aysmbiotic. Azolla, blue green algae
and mycorrhiza.Rhizosphere and phyllosphere. Microbes in human welfare: silage production, biofertilizers, biopesticides, biofuel production and biodegradation.
Introduction to microbiology laboratory and its equipments; Microscope- parts, principles of microscopy, resolving power and numerical aperture.Methods of sterilization.Nutritional media and their preparations.Enumeration of microbial population in soil- bacteria, fungi, actinomycetes.Methods of isolation and purification of microbial cultures.Isolation of Rhizobium from legume root nodule.Isolation of Azotobacter from soil.Isolation of Azospirillum from roots.Staining and microscopic examination of microbes.
1. Microbiology. Pelczar, J.r.,M.J.E.C.S.Chan and Krieg, N.R.(5th Ed.) 2015. McGraw Hill Publishers, New York.
2. Microbiology. Prescott, L.M>, Harley, J.P. and Klein, D.A.(9th Ed.) 2014. McGraw Hill Publishing Ltd.,New York.
3. Brock Biology of Microorganisms. Madigan, M.,Martinko, J.M. and Parker, J. (14 Ed.) 2015. Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi
4. Soil Microbiology: Subba Rao, N.S.(4th Ed.) 2014. Oxford & IBH Publishing Co.Pvt. Ltd.,New Delhi.
5. Microbiology A Laboratory Manual: James, C and Natile, S.(10th Ed.) 2014. Pearson India Education Services Pvt. Ltd., South Asia.
6. Experiments in Microbiology, Plant Pathology and Biotechnology, Aneja, K.R.2011. New Age International (P) Ltd., Publishers, New Delhi.
Ms. Sudeepta Pattanayak is currently working as Assistant Professor in Centurion University of Technology and Management since 2018. She has 2 years of research and teaching experience. In her research period, she has attended many national and international conferences and seminars. In addition to this, she has written many more research articles and book chapters. Besides […]