Still no participant
Still no reviews
PO1 : Knowledge Enhancement : Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of essential facts, concepts, principles and theories relating to Soil Science, Agronomy, Horticulture, Genetics and Plant Breeding, Plant Pathology, Entomology and other such areas of agriculture.
PO2 : Professional Enhancement : Understanding the value and processes of life-long learning and professional development.
PO3 : Entrepreneurship Skills : Understanding the processes of setting up and managing viable business ventures.
PO4 : Communication & Extension Skills : Developing appropriate communication skills for effective transfer of knowledge and technologies through extension programs.
PO5 : Team Work : Play effective roles in multidisciplinary teams.
PO6 : Educational Leadership : Recognize and meet emerging agriculture challenges of global society in the 21st century and developing leadership and strong linkages in the agro-industrial setup.
PO7 : Data Handling : Collect, analyze and interpret scientific data.
PO8 : Ethics : Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the scientific practice.
PO9 : Computational Skills : Recognize, analyze problems and plan strategies for their solutions with the help of computer skills.
Introduction.Microbial world: Prokaryotic and eukaryotic microbes. Bacteria: cell structure, chemoautotrophy, photo autotrophy, growth. Bacterial genetics: Genetic recombination- transformation, conjugation and transduction, plasmids, transposon.
Role of microbes in soil fertility and crop production: Carbon, Nitrogen, Phosphorus and sulphur cycles. Biological nitrogen fixation- symbiotic, associative and aysmbiotic. Azolla, blue green algae
and mycorrhiza.Rhizosphere and phyllosphere. Microbes in human welfare: silage production, biofertilizers, biopesticides, biofuel production and biodegradation.
Introduction to microbiology laboratory and its equipments; Microscope- parts, principles of microscopy, resolving power and numerical aperture.Methods of sterilization.Nutritional media and their preparations.Enumeration of microbial population in soil- bacteria, fungi, actinomycetes.Methods of isolation and purification of microbial cultures.Isolation of Rhizobium from legume root nodule.Isolation of Azotobacter from soil.Isolation of Azospirillum from roots.Staining and microscopic examination of microbes.
1. Microbiology. Pelczar, J.r.,M.J.E.C.S.Chan and Krieg, N.R.(5th Ed.) 2015. McGraw Hill Publishers, New York.
2. Microbiology. Prescott, L.M>, Harley, J.P. and Klein, D.A.(9th Ed.) 2014. McGraw Hill Publishing Ltd.,New York.
3. Brock Biology of Microorganisms. Madigan, M.,Martinko, J.M. and Parker, J. (14 Ed.) 2015. Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi
4. Soil Microbiology: Subba Rao, N.S.(4th Ed.) 2014. Oxford & IBH Publishing Co.Pvt. Ltd.,New Delhi.
5. Microbiology A Laboratory Manual: James, C and Natile, S.(10th Ed.) 2014. Pearson India Education Services Pvt. Ltd., South Asia.
6. Experiments in Microbiology, Plant Pathology and Biotechnology, Aneja, K.R.2011. New Age International (P) Ltd., Publishers, New Delhi.