CUTM2514- Quality Management, Narcotic Drugs, Explosives and Forensic Chemistry
Course Credit- 4+1
Introduction to forensic chemistry, Types of cases/exhibits received for analysis, Overview of forensic chemical analysis
Introduction to Quality, Quality Assurance, Quality control, TQM
Definition of Accreditation, History and development of ISO
Importance of accreditation in Forensic science laboratories, Process of accreditation, Quality system, Procedure for sample selection, collection, preservation, packaging, identification, storage and transport. Traceability and Validation of new methods, measurement of uncertainty, Equipment maintenance and calibration, Evaluation of materials and reagents, sample and data handling in the laboratory, sample disposal, Assessment, interpretation and reporting of results, Proficiency testing, external quality assessment programmes, internal audit/External audit, MRM, Training and conferences
Narcotic drugs & psychotropic substances
Introduction to Controlled Substances, Classification of controlled substances, Precursor chemicals, Narcotic raids and clandestine drug laboratories evidences and forensic examination Mandatory provisions of NDPS Act, 1985
NDPS Drugs, Classification of Drugs Commonly abused drugs, Drug dependence and Drug Tolerance Designer Drugs, Analysis of Drug of abuse by various chemical and instrumental methods
Introduction, classification and chemistry of explosives, Various types of IEDs and their reconstruction. Mechanism of explosion and their effects. Systematic examination of explosive and explosion residues (organic and inorganic) by
chemical and instrumental techniques and interpretation of results
Explosives Act and Explosive Substance Act
Introduction to Fires, Types of Fires, and Causes of fire, Patterns of fire
Thermodynamics of fire, Accelerants and incendiary devices, Forensic Analysis of Fire Debris by Instrumental methods
Forensic Analysis of petroleum products
Introduction to petroleum products and adulteration in petroleum products
Analysis of Petrol, Kerosene and Diesel as per BIS Specifications
Forensic Analysis of beverages
Introduction to Alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages
Analysis of alcoholic beverages, country made liquor, illicit liquor and medicinal preparations containing alcohol as constituents. Analysis of non-alcoholic beverages like tea, coffee
Bribe Trap Cases:
Examination of Chemicals (Phenolphthalein) used in Bribe trap cases.
Inks : Forensic Examination of inks by various techniques, Dating and aging of inks
Polymers: Forensic examination of plastics and Adhesives.
Adulterated Food Analysis
Analysis of samples taken under Food Adulteration Act
Fibers and Forensic Chemical Analysis
Introduction to fibers, Classification of fibers, Analysis by microscopy, melting point and solubility testing of fibers, Chromatography, Spectroscopy and elemental analysis of fibers.
1. Maudham Bassett etal; Voget’s Textbook of Quantitative Chemical Analysis, 6th Ed. Longman Essex
2. I. I. Finar: Oraganic Chemistry vol. II pearson Educatiopn (Sigapore)
3. R. T. Morrison, Rn.N Boyd; Organic Chemistry, 6th Ed. Prentice Hall, New Delhi
4. Brean S. Furniss Etal; A.I.Vogel Textbook Of Practical Oraganic Chemistry, Addison Wesley Longman, Edinburg
5. A. Burger; Medicinal Chemistry, Vol. Ii, Wiley Interscience, Ny
6. D A Skoog, D.M. West, F.J. Holler; Analytical Chemistry – An Introduction, 7th Ed. Saunders College Pub, Philadelphia, USA
7. Boudreau JE, Etal; Arson & Arson Investigation, Survey & Assessment National Institutes Of Law Enforcement, U.S. Deptt Of Justice, U.S. Govt Printing Press
8. Dettean J D; Kirk’s Fire Investigation, 5th Ed. Prentice Hall, Eaglewood Cliffs, N. J.
9. Yinon Jitrin; Modern Methods & Application In Analysis Of Explosives, John Wiley & Sons, England
10. Working Procedure Manual – Chemistry, Explosives And Narcotics, BPR&D Pub.
11. C.A. Watson; Official And Standardized Methods Of Analysis, Royal Society Of Chemistry, UK
12. Feigl; Spot Test In Inorganic Analysis, Elsevier Pub. New Delhi
13. Feigl; Spot Test In Organic Analysis, Elsevier Pub. New Delhi
14. Silverman; Organic Chemistry 0f Drug Design & Drug Action, Elserier Pub. New Delhi
15. Abraham Burger; Medicinal Chemistry & Drug Discovery, 6 Vol Set, 6th Ed John Wiley & Sons, NY.
16. NDPS Act, 1985.