Descriptive Statistics & Data Analysis
Code (Credit) : CUNT2484 (3-0-1)
Random variables and distributions functions (univariate and multivariate); Expectations and moments.Marginal and conditional distributions. Characteristic functions.
Standard discrete and continuous univariate distributions.Sampling distributions, Standard errors and asymptotic distributions, Distributions of order statistics and range.
Simple non-parametric tests for one and two sample problems, Rank correlation, and test for independence.
Analysis of variance and covariance. Fixed, random and mixed effects models. Simple and multiple linear regression, Logistic regression.
Multivariate normal distribution, Wishart distribution, and their properties. Distributions of quadratic forms. Inference for parameters.
Data reduction techniques: Principle component analysis, Discriminant analysis, Cluster analysis.
Simple random sampling, stratified sampling, and systematic sampling. Probability proportional to size sampling.
Prepare a report on Gauss Markov models
Prepare a report on correlation and regression analysis
- Irwin Miller and Marylees Miller, John E. Freund, Mathematical Statistics with Applications, 7th Ed., Pearson Education, Asia, 2006.
- Sheldon Ross, Introduction to Probability Models, 9th Ed., Academic Press, Indian Reprint, 2007.
- Devore, J. L.: Probability & Statistics for Engineering and the Sciences, 8th edition, Cengage Learning, 2012.
- Milton, J. S. and Arnold J. C.: Introduction to Probability and Statistics: Principles andApplicationsforEngineering and theComputing Sciences, 4th edition, TataMcGraw-Hill, 2007.
- Johnson, R. A., Miller: Freund’s Probability and Statistics for Engineers, 8th edition, PHI, 2010.
- Meyer, P.L.:IntroductoryProbabilityandStatisticalApplications,2ndedition, Addison-Wesley, 1970.
- Ross, S. M.: Introduction to Probability Models, 11th edition, Academic Press, 2014.