Still no participant
Still no reviews
On completing this course, students will be able to:
Module-I: D.C. Machines (6 Hrs)
Construction, Classification and Principle of operation of DC machines.
Theory & testing:-EMF equation of DC generator, DC Motor Characteristics, Speed Equation of DC Motor. Characteristic for Speed Armature Current, Torque Armature Current and Speed Torque of (i) Separately Excited DC Motor, (ii) DC Shunt Motor, (iii) DC Series Motor, and (iv) DC Compound Motor, Comparison between Different types of DC Motors
Application- DC Generator, DC Motor-Types
1) Determination of OCC (Open Circuit Characteristics) of D.C Shunt Generator.
2) Starting & Speed Control of D.C Shunt motor by (i) Field flux control method & (ii) armature voltage control method.
3) Starting & Speed Control of D.C Series motor by (i) Field flux control method & (ii) armature voltage control method.
MODULE II: Stepper Motors (Precision Machines) (6 Hrs)
Stepper motor drive, basic principles involved in stepper motor control, stepper motor specification, operation and commercial driver chips and packages, Brushless DC Motors, Reluctance Motor, Hysteresis Motor
Application in Medical, Automobile, Civil, Electrical etc
4) Motor Voltage and Current Measurement.
5) ON-Load Tap changer
Module-III: Induction Motors (8 Hrs)
Principles of operation of induction motors, both single and 3-phase types. Torque-speed curves, Different types of single phase motors
Three Phase Induction Motor
Equivalent Circuit and Phasor Diagram, No-Load and Blocked Rotor tests, Determination of Parameters, Slip-Torque Characteristics Losses and Efficiency, Effect of rotor resistance, Starting and speed control methods, Cogging, Crawling and Electrical Braking of Induction Motors.
Applications of three & single phase motors which will assist in picking the right one for an application.
5) Determination of parameter of a single phase induction motor and study of (a) Capacitor start induction motor (b) Capacitor start and capacitor run induction motor
6) Determination of Efficiency, Plotting of Torque-Slip Characteristics of Three Phase Induction motor by Brake Test.
7) Load test of a 3 phase slip ring induction motor.
Module-IV: Three Phase Synchronous Generators (7 Hrs)
Construction, Principle, Coil Pitch, Distributed Windings in A.C. Machines, The Equivalent Circuit of a Synchronous Generator (Armature Reaction Reactance, Synchronous Reactance and Impedance). The Phasor Diagram of a Synchronous Generator, Power and Torque in Synchronous Generators (Power Angle Equation and Power Angle Characteristic)
8) Plotting the open circuit and short circuit characteristics of alternator.
9) Calculating the voltage regulation by synchronous impedance method.
10) Calculating the voltage regulation by zero power factor method.
Module-V: Parallel Operation Of Three Phase AC Synchronous Generators (6 Hrs)
Synchronous condenser, Hunting, Paralleling-Conditions, Procedure, Operation of Generators in Parallel with Infinite bus bar, Effect of excitation, effect of unequal voltage and steam power supply.
11) Connection & verifying the conditions of parallel operation of alternators.
12) Verification of direct axis reactance, quadrature axis reactance
13) Load Sharing during parallel operation using Dymola.
Module-VI: Three Phase Synchronous Motors (6 Hrs)
Basic Principles of Motor operation, Construction, Starting Synchronous Motors, Synchronous Motor Ratings, Equivalent circuit & phasor diagram, Effect of excitation on varying load, power developed in a synchronous motor.
Applications of synchronous motors
14) Study of universal motor and shaded pole motor.
15) Use of synchronous motor as a synchronous condenser for p.f improvement.
Module-VII: Single-Phase Transformers (9 Hrs):
Construction and principle of operation, EMF Equation, Transformation ratio, Practical and Ideal transformers
Three Phase Transformers: Three-phase transformer connections- Star-star, Two Single-Phase Transformers connected in Open Delta (V-Connection) and their rating, Delta-star, Zig-zag connections. Scott connection, Open delta connection. Auto Transformers, Welding Transformer.
Application of Single & Three Phase transformer
16) Prescribed tests of single phase and three phase Transformer.
17) Load balancing in a three phase distribution Transformer.
18) Simulation of open delta condition of Transformer.
Construction of DC Generator and DC Motor,Classification and Principle of operation of DC machines,Theory & Testing:-EMF equation of DC generator,Speed Equation of DC Motor,Characteristic for Speed Armature Current, Torque Armature Current
Comparison between Different types of DC Motors and their Application,Speed Torque of (i) Separately Excited DC Motor, (ii) DC Shunt Motor,(iii) DC Series Motor, and (iv) DC Compound Motor, Application of DC Generator & Motors type
Motor voltage and current measurement.
Different types of single phase motors.
Three PHASE Induction Motors-principle,Starting of squirrel cage and slip ring rotor type induction machine,Losses and efficiency of three phase induction machine.
Determination of parameter of a single phase induction motor and study of
(a) Capacitor start induction motor
(b) Capacitor start and capacitor run induction motor
Determination of efficiency, plotting of torque slip charecteristics of three phase induction motor by brake test.
Plotting OCC and SCC of alternator
Calculating the voltage regulation from synchronous impedance method.
Calculating the voltage regulation from zero power factor method,POTIER Reactance.
Connection and verification parallel operation of alternators,Verification of direct axis reactance, quadrature axis reactance.
Load Sharing during parallel operation using Dymola.
Equivalent circuit & phasor diagram.
Single-Phase Transformers: Construction and principle of operation, EMF Equation, Transformation ratio, Practical and Ideal transformers
Application of Single & Three Phase transformer.
Load balancing in a three phase distribution Transformer.
Simulation of open delta condition of Transformer.
I have passed my M.Tech. from SoA university and continuing my Ph.D. degree from KIIT university. Now I am working as an Assistant Professor in Centurion University of Technology & Management, Bhubaneswar and having almost 10 years of working experiences and my Research Area includes Power Electronics & Drives and Renewable Energy System.
I have received my B. Tech in Electrical Engineering from Government College of Engineering Keonjhar, India and M. Tech in Power Electronics Control and Drives from VSSUT, Burla, India. I am pursuing my Ph.D. in the Department of Electrical Engineering, National Institute of Technology Rourkela, India. His fields of interest include power electronic converters, shunt […]