Subject code : BSRT1203
Subject type : 3+1+0
- Introduction to the use of ionizing radiation for the management of cancer.
- To get exposure to different types of clinical radiation generators.
- Use of radioactive sources for the management of malignant and non-malignant diseases.
- To know different areas of cancer management using advanced types of equipment.
- Use of modern linear accelerator and radioactive sources for the treatment of cancer.
- Handling of different radiotherapy equipment with proper care.
- The mechanism of interaction of ionizing radiation with the matter.
- Students will come to know the different techniques and procedures used in radiotherapy.
- They will know the advantages and side effects of radiation in cancer treatment.
- The quantification of radiation and use them in a regulated manner.
Orthovoltage equipment with special reference to physical design equipment of tube and its accessories and interlocks, gamma ray sources used radiotherapy especially cobalt 60 source its construction and source housing and handling mechanism.
Principles of isocentric Tele-isotope machines, megavoltage x-ray and electron beam accelerators and betatron.
Practics: - Demonstration of isocentric Tele-isotope machines. Demonstration of megavoltage x-ray.
Salient features of components of Linear Accelerator like tube design, wake guide, targetdesign, beam bending system.
Radio-frequency generators like magnetron and klestron.
Basic principle of remote after-loading system/machines and sources used. Principles of simulators and vacuum forming machines for making casts.
Sterofoam template cutting system introduction to radio-surgery. Equipment and dosimetry equipment.
Practice: - Practical study of electron beam accelerators and betatron.
Practical study about simulators and vacuum forming machines.
- Textbook of Radiotherapy by Faiz M Khan, publisher Lippincott William & wilkins
- Step by Step Management of Chemo and Radiotherapy by Krishan, publisher jaypee brothers
- Principle and Practice of Nuclear Medicine and Correlative Medical Imaging by Lele, publisher jaypee digital
Introduction in Basic equipment in radiotherapy
Introduction, origin of X-rays, properties of X-rays
Physical design and working principle, characteristics of x-ray tube
Treatment delivery and handling of machines
Introduction on Cobalt 60 Teletherapy Units
Source construction and characteristics
working principle and handling mechanism.
Check the accuracy of the mechanical parameters of equipment.
Need of accelerator
Types of accelerator
Construction and principle of working of betatran-(I)
Construction and principle of working of betatran-(II)
Handling and maintenance of betatron.
Principle of acceleration,Target design
Wave guide design, Beam bending system.
Application of Linear Accelerator
Magnetron Physical design and working principle
Klystron Physical design and working principle.
Application of magnetron and klystron
Handling and maintenance of linear accelerator
Principle in remote after-loading system/machines
Working in remote after-loading system/machines
Sources used in remote after-loading system/machines (I)
Sources used in remote after-loading system/machines (II)
General properties and basic principle of radiotherapy simulator (I)
General properties and basic principle of radiotherapy simulator (II)
Equipment’s for radiotherapy simulation and treatment
Caste making equipment, Styrofoam cutter
Accessories for simulation.
Preparation of caste for simulation (I)
Working principle of dosimetric equipments and dosimeters.
Working principle of dosimetric equipments and dosimeters(II)
Preparation of caste for simulation (II)