Still no participant
Still no reviews
1. To know about the nutrients
2. To understand the function and sources of nutrients
3. To learn about the nutritional value of fishes
4. Discuss the health benefits of fish
Student will have knowledge of nutrients to design and plan for preparing a balanced diet for human
1. Composition of fish with emphasis on nutritional value.
2. Concept of Biological value, Protein Efficiency ratio, Net protein utilization.
3. Amino acids of fish and shellfishes and importance of essential amino acids.
4. Fish lipids: fatty acids, nutritional quality.
5. Role of fish lipids in human nutrition.
6. Non-protein nitrogen substances in fishes.
7. Vitamins in fish: water soluble, fat soluble, significance in human nutrition.
8. Minerals in fish: micro- and macro-elements, trace elements, significance in human nutrition.
9. Other functional bio-molecules in fish – peptides, collagen and squalene.
10. Effect of different kinds of cooking fish ie. curry, frying, steaming, smoking, fermentation on nutrition value.
1. Belitz. H. D., and Grosch, W. 1999. Food Chemistry. 2nd Edition, Springer ,Verlag Berlin, Heidelbery, New York.
2. Berk. Z. 1976. Braverman’s Introduction to the Biochemistry of Foods, Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company, Oxford.
3. Brody, T. 2006. Nutritional Biochemistry 2nd Edition. Elsevier, India Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi.
4. Eskin, N.A.M, Heuderson, H.M and Townsend. R.J. 1971. Biochemistry of Foods, Academic Press, London.
5. Fennema Owen, R (Ed.). 1985. Food Chemistry, 2nd Edition, Marcel Dekker, Inc. New York.
6. Fennema Owen, R (Ed.). 1996. Food Chemistry, 3rd Edition, Marcel Dekker, Inc. New York.
7. Fox, P.F.,and Condon, J. J., 1982. Food Proteins. Applied Science publishers Ltd., London.
8. Garard, Ira D. 1976. Introductory Food Chemistry. The Avi Publishing Company INC. Westport, Connecticut.
9. Heimann, W. 1980. Fundamentals of Food Chemistry. Avi Publishing Company, West Port, Connecticut, USA.
10. Hui, Y.H. 2006.(Ed). Food Biochemistry & Food Processing. Blackwell publishing Ltd., USA
11. Lee, Frank, A. 1983. Basic Food Chemistry. 2nd Edition, The Avi Publishing Company INC, Westport, Connecticut.
12. Luck, Erich, Jager, Martin 1997. Antimicrobial food additives, characteristics uses, effects – 2nd Edition, Springer – Verlag Berlin, Heidel berg – New York
13. Pomeranz Yeshajahu, 1985. Functional Properties of Food Components. Academic Press , INC, London.
14. Regenstein, J. O. R. M., and Regenstein Carrie, E. 1984. Food protein Chemistry–An introduction for food Scientists, Academic Press, INC, London.
15. Stewart George, F., and Amerine Maynard, A. 1982. Introduction to Food Science and Technology – 2nd Edition, Academic Press, London.