Still no participant
Still no reviews
This subject deals with general methods of preparation and purification techniques of organic compounds. The Chemistry of fats and oils and assessing of purity of Fats and Oils by determining the analytical constants
I Experiments involving laboratory techniques
• Steam distillation
II Determination of following oil values (including standardization of reagents)
• Acid value
• Saponification value
• Iodine value
III Preparation of compounds
• Benzanilide/Phenyl benzoate/Acetanilide from Aniline/ Phenol /Aniline by acylation reaction.
• 2,4,6-Tribromo aniline/Para bromo acetanilide from Aniline/
• Acetanilide by halogenation (Bromination) reaction.
• 5-Nitro salicylic acid/Meta di nitro benzene from Salicylic acid / Nitro benzene by nitration reaction.
• Benzoic acid from Benzyl chloride by oxidation reaction.
• Benzoic acid/ Salicylic acid from alkyl benzoate/ alkyl salicylate by hydrolysis reaction.
• 1-Phenyl azo-2-napthol from Aniline by diazotization and coupling reactions.
• Benzil from Benzoin by oxidation reaction.
• Dibenzal acetone from Benzaldehyde by Claison Schmidt reaction
• Cinnammic acid from Benzaldehyde by Perkin reaction
• P-Iodo benzoic acid from P-amino benzoic acid
1. Practical Organic Chemistry by Mann and Saunders.
2. Vogel’s textbook of Practical Organic Chemistry
3. Advanced Practical organic chemistry by N.K.Vishnoi.
4. Introduction to Organic Laboratory techniques by Pavia, Lampman and Kriz.