Course Name : Principles of Food Science and Nutrition
Still no participant
Still no reviews
Give introduction to aspects of food and nutrition.
Know the principles involving various food preservation methods.
Gain knowledge of the role of nutrition in sustaining health and preventing diseases
Understand both fundamental and applied aspects of food science.
Provides for fundamental understanding of food chemistry, and food microbiology.
Gain insights about role of specific nutrients in maintaining health and identifying nutrient specific foods.
Concepts of Food Science (definitions, measurements, density, phase change, pH, osmosis, surface tension, colloidal systems etc.); Food composition and chemistry (water, carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals, flavours, colours, miscellaneous bioactives, important reactions); Food microbiology - (bacteria, yeast, moulds, spoilage of fresh & processed foods, Production of fermented foods); Principles and methods of food processing and preservation (use of heat, low temperature, chemicals, radiation, drying etc.); Food and nutrition, Malnutrition (over and under nutrition), nutritional disorders; Energy metabolism (carbohydrate, fat, proteins); Balanced/ modified diets, Menu planning, New trends in food science and nutrition.
1. Sumati R. Mudambi, Shalini M.Rao and M.V. Rajagopal. 2006. Food Science, 2nd Ed. New Age International(P) Limited, New Delhi.
2. Martin Eastwood. 2003. Principles of Human Nutrition. Blackwell Science Ltd., Oxford.
3. Norman N.Potter. 1998. Food Science, 5th Ed. Springer Science+ Business Media, New York.
4. P. Fellows. 2000. Food Processing Technology: Principles and Practice, 2nd Ed. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA.
5. Marcus Karel and Darvl B.Lund. 2003. Physical Principles of Food Preservation, 2nd Ed. Marcel Dekker, Inc., NY,USA.
6. Gerald Wiseman. 2002. Nutrition and Health. Taylor & Francis, London. 10. An Introduction to Nutrition, v.1.0
Food Composition and Chemistry - Vitamins
PDF -Fat Soluble vitamins
PDF -Water Soluble Vitamins
Video -The ABCD's of Vitamins
Video -Water Soluble Vitamins - An overall nutrient window
Video -How do Vitamins Work
Food Composition and Chemistry - Mineral Nutrition
Dr. Kakani has a PhD in Food Science and Technology, an MS (Food Science and Technology) with emphasis on food microbiology, and MAB (Master in Agribusiness Management) from Texas A&M University, College Station, USA. She holds a bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Sciences from Acharya NG Ranga Agricultural University, Hyderabad. She specializes in the area of […]