Module-I: Animal Husbandry and Exotic Breeds (3 hrs)
- Introduction to Animal Husbandry
- Distinguishing characteristics of India and exotic breeds of dairy animals and their performance.
- Systems of breeding and methods of selection of dairy animals.
Module-II: General Dairy Farm Practices (5 hrs)
- Identification, dehorning, castration, exercising, grooming, weighing.
- Care of animals at calving and management of neonates.
- Management of lactating and dry cows and buffaloes.
- Methods of milking, milking procedure and practices for quality milk production.
- Systems of housing dairy animals and maintenance of hygiene and sanitation at dairy farm premises.
Practice (4.5 hrs)
- Handling and restraining of dairy animals.
- External body parts and judging of cows and buffaloes.
- Feeding and management practices of calves.
- Milking of dairy animals and cleaning and sanitation of milking equipment.
Module-III: Dairy Farm Records and Disease Problems (2 hrs)
- Dairy farm records and their maintenance.
- Common disease problems in dairy animals, their prevention and control.
Module-IV: Animal Feed Nutrients and its Standards (5 hrs)
- Feed nutrients required by animal body.
- Feed resources for milk production and their nutritive values.
- Digestive system of ruminants and measures of feed energy.
- Nutrients requirements for growth and milk production.
- Feeding standards.
Practice (4 hrs)
- Identification of common feeds and fodders.
- Preparation of rations for adult animals.
Module-V: Animal Reproductive System and Artificial Insemination (5 hrs)
- Structure and function of mammary system, milk secretion and milk let-down.
- Male and female reproductive system.
- Estrus and reproductive cycle, Ovulation, fertilization, gestation, parturition, pregnancy diagnosis.
- Artificial insemination and embryo transfer and their role in animal improvement introduction to bio-techniques in dairy animal production.
Practice (4 hrs)
- Identification of reproductive and digestive organs.
- Demonstration of semen collection, processing and artificial insemination.
- Handbook of Animal Husbandry- Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi
- A Textbook of Animal Husbandry- G. C. Banerjee